Wednesday 12 January 2011

evaluation - question two

EVALUATION - Q2
How effective is the combination of your main product (video) and ancillary texts (digipak and advertisement)?

I knew when making my music video that I would have to produce ancillary products; digipak and advert, to link together to create a successful promotional package
Firstly Keith Tyler the artist of my music video. Shooting clear, in focus shots of Keith whilst filming and taking photos for my digipak and advert was the most essential thing I thought of when planning an effective combination.
My video begins with a clear close up of Keith's face, so I thought it would be clever to incorporate a similar close up image onto my products. Seeing Keith will immediately combine the products together as the audience should recognise his face.


Image used on front cover of digipak and used on advert




Screen grab from my music video





























As well as that, the majority of footage in my music video and all images on my digipak and advert I have changed to greyscale mode. I primarily decided to use greyscale in my music video to give a soft, peaceful tone relating to the sad narrative, in contrast to the end where the characters problems are being fixed and colour and lights symbolise their happiness. However, when I decided on my house style colours black, white and grey and began started editing and adding effects to my digipak photos, I felt making them greyscale would actually tie in well with the music video. (Link to see full video http://www.vimeo.com/17676661)
A greyscale screen grab from my music video
When creating my track list of songs for the back cover of my digipak, my idea was to link the song titles to firstly appropriate names for pop/rock genre, but also to what maybe expected after seeing the music video. Names like London Lights because part of my video was shot in well-known London locations such as Oxford Street and Chelsea Bridge and of course Fix You as the lyrics in the video relate to people being fixed.

Back cover of digipak, showing track list

































No comments:

Post a Comment